Since everyone else gets to, I'm going to post my power rankings. However, instead of worrying about whether Pittsburgh or Tennessee deserve to have their 5-6 record validated more, I'm going to do a top 5 and "tiers" in the middle, with a bottom five to round it out. Seems much more logical than trying to determine which mediocre teams are more mediocre than the mediocrity surrounding them.
1. Seattle Seahawks (10-1)
At this point, there really is just a top tier in football with two teams. We'll get to the 2nd in just a moment. However, at 10-1 and playing like their record indicates, the Seahawks deserve this spot. With the exception of what was obviously a game they didn't take seriously against Tampa Bay and a loss to the (then) tough Colts, the Seahawks have played like the best team in football all year. You have to tip your hat to Pete Carroll, regardless of how you feel about his time at (and after) USC, as he's done a stellar job there. How many head coaches would choose to start Wilson over Flynn with the money the latter was getting? Carroll's making the most of what he's got, and it's scary.
The question is: can they get past the secondary issues developing now? Suspensions in your secondary right before Drew Brees shows up is quite scary.
2. Denver Broncos (9-2)
Yes, I know they just lost to the Patriots. I know they blew a halftime lead of 24 points.
I also know that the weather pretty much invalidates that game, at least in my eyes. What I mean by that is, any team is going to have issues in that weather. Muffed punts are much more likely to decide a game with winds like that: think about that, do you really want your team to be judged by a game that's as likely to be decided by muffed punts than the skills of your players?
Peyton is still the best QB in the NFL right now and the Broncos' three WRs are good enough to be almost any team's #1 receiver. They have one of those "basketball-turned-Tight End" guys in Julius Thomas who's making similar plays to Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski. They got Von Miller back and their defense is scary, even if the numbers don't reflect it right now. I'd love to see a Broncos/Seahawks Super Bowl (provided my Panthers can't make it, obviously).
3. New Orleans Saints (9-2)
Some people are going to point to the close win to the Falcons as if that somehow takes away from how good the Saints are. For those of you who aren't indoctrinated in the rivalries in the NFC South (by that, I mean each team hates the other), every game is close regardless of records. This one was no different. The Falcons will always get up to play the Saints, regardless of situation.
Otherwise, Drew Brees is doing what he always does: he's playing lights out. Now the Saints have a defense that isn't embarassing and Sean Payton is back directing traffic. This team is scary, but with the obvious addendum of "if they're at home". I don't know how much I like them to go on the road and beat the Seahawks, either this week or in the playoffs, though. I actually like Carolina's chance better to actually beat the Seahawks on the road, though I believe the Saints are overall slightly better right now.
4. Carolina Panthers (8-3)
"The Panthers had to come back to beat the Dolphins. See? They're not that good."
If you've been brave enough to venture down to the dreaded comments section of any other Power Rankings article today, you'd probably see some version of this. However, the Seahawks had to do the same against a poor Tampa Bay team. The Saints had to hold on to beat a bad Falcons team. This is the NFL folks, and each team is tough, especially when you're coming off a short week and the other team is still fighting for their playoff lives.
And yet, the Panthers did what the good teams are supposed to do: they came back and won it at the end. Yet, when other teams do it, it's confirmation of Tom Brady's/Peyton's/Brees' greatness. The Panthers? "See, they're just bad."
I don't get it. I'd like it if my team, just once, got some actually legit recognition. Their play has been sporadic, but so has the play of almost every team. I'd love to see more out of our run game, since the lack thereof affects Cam's ability to work the play action and limits the effectiveness of the read option plays we occasionally run. For more, go check out my Panthers/Dolphins Post-Game analysis blog from Monday.
5. New England Patriots (8-3)
I almost put the Chiefs here, but if they lose Houston/Hali for any amount of time, I just don't see their offense accounting for what they lose on defense.
The Patriots are a team you can't quite get a handle on. Are they good? Are they lucky? Are they unlucky?
I personally think that any team with Tom Brady is going to be at least decent. They're finally getting their players back from the injured list, and it's showing in their results. The game against the Panthers could have easily gone either way, just as the Broncos game could have. The Pats/Saints game also demonstrates how close these teams really are in terms of skill. Throw in the Panthers/Seahawks game and you have to start getting excited about the playoffs, seeing how closely matched these teams are.
The Patriots definitely belong in that conversation. Just as the Panthers are the team no team wants to face in the NFC Playoffs (for their defense), the Pats are that team for the AFC (with that offense).
The Close, but No Cigars
Kansas City Chiefs (9-2)
Arizona Cardinals (7-4)
San Francisco 49ers (7-4)
These three are the closest to those top five teams, and if they played anyone in the top 5 I would expect a close, hard-fought game. That being said, based on what they've done on the field, I can't really put them ahead of anyone in the top 5.
The "Fighting for a Chance to Lose in the Wild Card Round" Tier
Cincinnati Bengals (7-4)
St. Louis Rams (5-6)
Indianapolis Colts (7-4)
Philadelphia Eagles (6-5)
Dallas Cowboys (6-5)
San Diego Chargers (5-6)
Chicago Bears (6-5)
Detroit Lions (6-5)
Tennessee Titans (5-6)
Pittsburgh Steelers (5-6)
Miami Dolphins (5-6)
Green Bay Packers (5-5-1)
Baltimore Ravens (5-6)
New York Jets (5-6)
The muddled middle of the pack. Any and all of these teams has a chance to actually make it to the playoffs. The Colts and Bengals looked incredibly potent earlier this season, but for some reason they're floundering. Geno Atkins and Reggie Wayne are tough losses, but I can't imagine those losses alone change the teams as much as they have.
The NFC East is such a trainwreck. Even the NY Giants have a legitimate shot still. Someone has to win that division, but it won't be pretty.
The AFC as a whole has so many teams at 5-6, it's hard to imagine the scenario that'll actually play out over the next couple of weeks. Someone has to win, but your guess is as good as mine. Each team has a case, but you can't tell which team you get on a week-to-week basis. If a gun were put to my head, I'd lean towards the Chargers and Steelers, but that's just me.
The Bad, but Not Worst Tier
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-8)
New York Giants (4-7)
Buffalo Bills (4-7)
Cleveland Browns (4-7)
Oakland Raiders (4-7)
The only thing to mention here is that the Bucs have made it out of the bottom five. I actually would put them above any other team on this list, since their talent is there. Mike Glennon has played really well, especially considering the expectations when he was first thrust into the starting lineup.
Also, I mention this again: the Giants can still feasibly win their division. Ponder on that for a bit.
The Bottom Five
Washington Redskins (3-8)
Atlanta Falcons (2-9)
Minnesota Vikings (2-8-1)
Jacksonville Jaguars (2-9)
Houston Texans (2-9)
At least the four teams other than the Texans are trying still...
That's it for this week.
Michael
No comments:
Post a Comment